Thursday 5 December 2013

Day 12 - Baia Mare to Sighetu Marmației (by minibus)

I was up early for another great breakfast at my Pension. During the night it had snowed quite heavily and was still snowing when I awoke.

After saying my goodbyes at the Pension I made my way into town and caught the #4 bus to the bus station. Straight away I spotted a waiting minibus with a sign on the dash board displaying 'Sighetu Marmației'. I approached the driver and he informed me he would be leaving at 11 am and the fare was 13 lei, which gave me plenty of time to grab a coffee.


Baia Mare 


Not long after we headed off we soon stopped at a nearby supermarket, where we waited for over half an hour for one extra person to jump on board! As we set off again the snow was still falling and as we reached the Gutaii Pass it became really heavy, with mist closing in as well. We passed a couple of ski slopes which looked quite impressive. As we descended the Gutaii Pass the weather seemed to improve and there was definitely less snow on the ground. We stopped at many of the villages along the way and I did think about jumping off, but decided it would be best to travel all the way to Sighetu Marmației and base myself here for a couple of days.

I arrived in Sighetu Marmației at 12:30 am at the main bus station, (close to the train station). I walked into town and tried to find Cobwebs hostel but failed miserably, so continued to look for somewhere else. Eventually I decided to visit the Coroana hotel where I was greeted by a very friendly young guy at the reception. He informed me a room for the night was 70 lei which included breakfast, which I accepted. Sadly the room was a little depressing! From the outside the hotel may look quite grand, but on the inside it is all very run down and very tired!

Later I went in search of a restaurant, but struggled to find any to my liking, even the ones with the designated non-smoking quarters had smokers puffing away! I finally managed to find a small burger place, (no smoking upstairs) near Piata Libertatii and had a very nice pizza (13 lei).

After my pizza I had a walk around the town and noticed a small stage opposite my hotel with a few stalls, (not quite in the same league as either Brașov or Baia Mare!) I then walked north in the direction of the train station and continued to the bridge where the border with Ukraine is, really just out of curiosity!


Sighetu Marmației


Sighetu Marmației - Border with Ukraine


I really fancied a slice of cake and a coffee, so I went in search of a non-smoking café and managed to find one, (half of it was non-smoking anyway!) called Patisserie Ileana which was actually quite nice. However I really wanted to relax and have a quiet read, but inside was a lady dressed up as Santa continually ringing a very loud bell which drove me nuts and so I had to leave after a short while!

On returning to my hotel I decided to venture into the restaurant area for another coffee but the stench of stale smoke was unbearable so I had a coffee in the lobby area. I wasn't sat for very long when a large group of children walked in wearing traditional clothing, and before too long they all started to sing together! I soon learned they were having last minute rehearsals before hitting the big stage outside! They were wonderful to watch, although I think I may have been a distraction whilst taking photographs! I later followed the children outside and watched them perform again on the big stage! The other acts were also great to see.


Carol singing rehearsal in my hotel lobby!


Carol singing rehearsal in my hotel lobby!


Carol singing rehearsal in my hotel lobby!


Carol singing rehearsal in my hotel lobby!


Children in traditional costumes singing carols


Children in traditional costumes singing carols


Presenters on stage introducing the acts


Children in traditional costumes singing carols


Children in traditional costumes singing carols 



Back at the hotel I soon discovered you have to run the water for at least twenty minutes before it becomes hot!

My plan tomorrow is to catch a bus to Bârsana and then slowly walk back heading through the villages before hopefully hitchhiking back to Sighetu Marmației.

No comments:

Post a Comment