Tuesday 10 December 2013

Day 17 - Alba lulia

I had a great breakfast which included feta cheese and cold cuts of meat, all washed down with lashings of strong coffee! After I'd filled my stomach I headed off to the train station to book my ticket for Bucharest in the morning. I was greeted yet again by a nice friendly girl at the ticket counter and purchased a 2nd class ticket costing 124.50 lei. The train leaves at 8:30 am and is due to arrive at 4:10 pm.


Breakfast


I then made my way to the centre of town and took a wander around the Citadel, before having a break and sampling the local mulled wine and some chocolate! After spending a little more time wandering around the town I decided to head along Str Calea Motilor, in the direction of the mountains. (I did spot a nice looking hotel called 'Villa la Dutu' along the way.) I ended up hiking all the way to the village of Sard and climbed the hill by the train crossing, (with the large house at the top) and soaked up the views of the mountains. If I'd had a bit more time I would have liked to have got a little closer to the mountains, but as I only had a couple of daylight hours left I decided to hike back before jumping on a bus back into the centre of town.


The Orthodox Cathedral (1922)


The Orthodox Cathedral (1922)


Mulled wine


The Apuseni Mountains


After jumping off the bus back in town, I took another walk around the Citadel, this time along the top and soaked up the views as the sun was setting. Before heading back to my pension I had a coffee and a slice of cake whilst waiting for the Christmas lights to come on as I really wanted to take a few photographs!



Alba lulia


Alba lulia


Alba lulia


Alba lulia


Alba lulia


St Michaels's Cathedral (11th century)


Alba lulia


Alba lulia


Alba lulia


Back at my pension I ordered a large pot of tea while waiting for me evening meal to be served, which consisted of some lovely steak!


Great food


No comments:

Post a Comment