Monday 25 November 2013

Day 2 - Bucharest

I had a good night's sleep, even though I had a street lamp shining into my room all night! (My room only had a net curtain!) After leaving my hotel, my first task was to find a bank to exchange some of my English currency. The first bank I visited wasn't interested, but when I visited a Raiffeisen bank they were more than happy to accept my English currency. With the wonderful polymer banknotes in my pocket, I headed back towards the train station as I wanted to book a train out of Bucharest in the morning. (I'd decided yesterday I wanted to first visit Sinaia.)

On arrival at the ticket kiosk I was actually quite amazed at how few people were around, as it was a Monday morning. I purchased my ticket for Sinaia without any issues for the fee of 19 lei (2nd class) and the train is due to leave in the morning at 6:35 am and should arrive at 9:14 am. I then returned to my hotel and decided to pay for another night (90 lei), as I really couldn't be bothered to look for anywhere cheaper for the sake of one night.

I first headed into town to explore Bucharest and on the way I decided to knock on the door again at the Oblik Hostel, but unfortunately there was still no answer. I bought some covrigi for breakfast and then made my way over to the huge Palace of the Parliament and walked the full circumference around the building. I noticed there was a huge police and security presence, and when I enquired about taking a look inside I was told it was closed to tourists for the next three days. After taking a few photographs I made my way over to the historic quarter which was very nice, although it did all look a little expensive.


Palace of the Parliament


 Graffiti in Bucharest


After relaxing at the Serendipity Tea House for a while which was a great place to chill with a nice cup of tea, I headed back towards my hotel and decided to knock on the door of the Oblik Hostel for one last time. I was a little surprised when I lady opened the door! I introduced myself and she seemed to recognise my name straight away. She told me she had been in hospital all through the night and most of the day. I made it clear I wasn't particularly impressed and just left, as I couldn't really understand why she couldn't have organised somebody else to have greeted me? Even a small note pinned to the door would have helped!

Before heading back to my hotel I bought some food from the nearby shop to take back with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment