Tuesday 26 November 2013

Day 3 - Bucharest to Sinaia (by train)

I was up early after very little sleep during the night as I think there was a lot of talking down at the reception area until the early hours. I was too scared to use my ear plugs for fear of missing my train!

On arrival at the train station I bought some covrigi for breakfast and a coffee from the café next door to McDonalds, (so much cheaper!). My Train was already at the platform, and I boarded it with plenty of time to spare.

The train finally left a little late, stopping at quite a few stations along the way. Half way into the journey it started to snow which was great to see, as some of the views were quite spectacular from the window. I arrived in Sinaia at 9:20 am. Once outside the station (and wrapped up well), I headed south along Bulevardul Carol I, and made my way to the Paltinis Hotel, but was soon told they were closed for the winter! I then decided to visit the hotel next door called 'Bulevard' where I was greeted by a very friendly man. I bargained at 50 lei for a single room and when I was shown the room I was suitably impressed. I had my own bathroom, fridge, TV and Wi-Fi! It was also nice the room didn't smell of stale cigarette smoke either!


 Sinaia Train Station - Prahova County


After settling in my hotel, I decided to head out and walk to Dimitrie Ghica Park which was very pleasant. I then continued further up the hill and made my way to Peles castle which was unfortunately closed for the winter, but I did have a good wander around the grounds. I bought some nougat at one of the few stalls which was open for business, before heading further up the hill (as far as the sign telling of the dangers of bears!). On the way up it had started to snow quite heavy and by the time I entered the forest all around was a blanket of white.


 War Cemetery in Sinaia - Prahova County


 Toboggans in Sinaia - Prahova County


 Peles Castle in Sinaia - Prahova County


 Peles Castle in Sinaia - Prahova County


 Sinaia - Prahova County


Sinaia - Prahova County


Beware of the Bears! - Sinaia (Prahova County)


After I short while spent in the forest I decided to head back down the hill and back into town. I was really hungry and whilst waking along Bulevardul Carol I, I decided to visit the restaurant called La Cervac (if I remember?) and ordered Fasole cu Cârnaţi (sausage and beans), which was absolutely delicious (23 lei). Unfortunately I had to quickly finish my meal towards the end, as a couple entered the restaurant and sat nearby and both started to smoke! Not sure why they felt the need to sit so close to me as the restaurant was empty! After my meal I crossed the road and visited a very nice café and ordered a posh cake and a coffee (9 lei). It was a great little place to relax and read for a while.


Fasole cu Cârnaţi - Sinaia (Prahova County)
 

Before heading back to my hotel I decided to buy a few provisions for my planned hike in the morning. (My plan is the hike to Caraiman Cabana and over to Bran over 2/3 days, however with the weather deteriorating quite dramatically I may have to rethink my plans.) One of the things I needed was some methylated spirits for my camping stove. After having no luck with any of the small supermarkets, I visited a small wooden hut where I man was selling alcohol. I explained to him what I needed and he soon presented me with a bottle of 'Sorana' which appeared to be some form of alcohol used to dress wounds which also had a rather fetching picture of a sexy nurse on the label! I thought for the price of 6.5 lei I might as well give it a go!

Back at my hotel room I tested my stove with the bottle of 'Sorana' and I was very delighted to discover it worked a treat! I was also grateful for the central heating in my room as it was clearly getting very cold outside and the snow was continuing to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment