Saturday 30 November 2013

Day 7 - Brașov to Cluj-Napoca (by train)

I was up early again and made my way to Parc Central and caught a taxi to the train station. The driver wanted 10 lei but was happy with the 8 lei I offered. On arrival at the station I bought a 2nd class ticket for Cluj-Napoca (75.5 lei). Unfortunately the train wasn't due to depart until 8:40 am, so I had more than a couple of hours to kill!

I was keen to find somewhere to sit down and have a coffee and maybe read for a while. I didn't fancy anywhere in the station so I walked out onto the main road (B-Dul Garii) and turned left where I soon came across a petrol garage which had a café inside. The café was really nice and quiet, so I ordered a cappuccino and a croissant (13.5 lei). However, best of all it was non-smoking with free Wi-Fi!

As 8:40 am approached I headed back to the train station and boarded the waiting train for Cluj-Napoca. The train left on time and the journey was uneventful other than the ubiquitous seller on board, leaving some rather tacky items next to me and returning five minutes later only to find I wasn't interested in buying any of them! One thing noticeable as I journeyed north was the disappearance of the snow.

I finally arrived at Cluj-Napoca at 4:30 pm, (I was supposed to arrive at 3:17 pm). As I'd had quite a long journey I decided to head straight for the Pax Hotel across the road. At the reception I could see the price for a single room was 110 lei. I think the receptionist could see I wasn't particularly impressed with the price and so I asked if I could pay 160 lei for two nights, luckily she agreed. However, when I saw the room for the first time I did feel a little depressed, it was a little bleak!

I later went out to look for somewhere to eat. I couldn't be bothered to walk very far and ended up settling for a fast food place. I returned to my hotel to do some much needed washing. I am really looking forward to a lie in tomorrow morning and then a gentle walk into town to soak up the sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment